[201911 台北] 內科第七次研討會 小動物心臟病新知
10/30 12:00 – 11/19
日期：⺠國 108 年 11 月 24 日(星期日)
講師：Dr. Justin Allen, DVM, DACVIM (Cardiology)
請於 108 年 11 月 17日 (星期日) 前完成報名，額滿為止，謝謝！
獨家贊助 | 台灣百靈佳殷格翰動物事業股份有限公司
- Diplomate – American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine (Cardiology), 7/2010
- Doctorate of Veterinary Medicine, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 5/2006
- Bachelor of Arts, Biology and Religion majors, Illinois Wesleyan University, 5/2001
- Residency in Cardiology, California Animal Hospital, Los Angeles CA, 7/2010
- Internship, Advanced Veterinary Care Center, Lawndale, CA, 7/2007
- California Veterinary License, #: VET 17046
- Illinois Veterinary License, #: 090009434
Veterinary work/volunteer experiences:
6/2016 – current – Cardiologist, VCA West Los Angeles, Los Angeles CA
- Founded interventional cardiology program
- Restarted cardiology internship and residency training program – 2 residents as of 7/2019
- Weekly journal club, teaching rounds
- Intensive caseload – 60+ cases/week
- Expanded service to 7 days a week
- Assist Los Angeles Zoo with cardiac evaluations on a variety of patients, including apes, monkeys, and avian species
8/2011 – 6/2016 – Cardiologist, VCA Bay Area Veterinary Specialists, San Leandro CA
- Expanded service from 1.5 days to 6 day coverage
- Extensive technician training – now capable of handling a large portion of day to day business without direct supervision
- Founded the interventional cardiology program
- Technician/staff CE provided 1-4 times per year (CPR, cardiac emergencies, ECG)
- Continued to provide local RACE approved CE: lunch and learn (variety of topics), Alameda County VMA (ECG interpretation for the GP, CHF therapy for the GP)
- Talks to breed clubs
- Assisted San Francisco Zoo and Oakland Zoo with multiple cardiac evaluations on patients, including lions, tigers, chimpanzees, koalas, and meerkats
8/2010 – 7/2011 – Cardiologist, Animal Emergency and Treatment Centers, Chicago & Grayslake, IL
- 2 centers, 43 miles apart
- Experience visiting over 50 local clinics, experience assisting/directing marketing and promotion
- Provided multiple in-house CE presentations, veterinary clinic “lunch and learn” presentations, breed organizations, and local veterinary association CE presentations
◦ Monthly ECG, radiology and case “rounds” for area veterinarians and house officers; 1-3 hours based on interest and number of cases covered
◦ Weekly or biweekly topic rounds via Skype with California Animal Hospital cardiology service
◦ M & M rounds
- Multiple RACE approved CE talks
- Assisted Brookfield Zoo with great ape heart project; performed echocardiograms (transthoracic) on gorillas, orangutans, and other exotic species
7/2007 – 7/2010 – Residency, ACVIM (Cardiology) – California Animal Hospital
- High-volume private practice residency. Garnered valuable experience in managing multiple cases simultaneously, budgeting both time and owner finances.
- Intensive work with emergency and critical-care cardiovascular and respiratory disease, from presentation through hospitalization to chronic management.
- Experience performing pacemaker implantation, diagnostic catheterization, PDA occlusion, balloon valvuloplasty, and other procedures. Strong desire to join or found an interventional cardiology laboratory.
- Involved in IDEXX research on cardiac biomarkers, with several studies written pending final data accumulation.
- Directed and graded externs during their 4th-year cardiology rotation; promoted teaching during internship cardiology rotations, performed multiple lectures yearly.
- Lecture topics included: VDD pacemaker implantation; Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome; Anesthesia; Basic ECG interpretation; Congestive Heart Failure: Pathophysiology and Therapy; Supraventricular Tachycardia: Diagnosis and Management; The Approach to the Dyspneic Patient; ACDO implantation.
- Assisted Los Angeles Zoo with transthoracic and transesophageal echocardiography of gorillas and tamarin monkeys
7/2006 – 6/2007 – Internship, Advanced Veterinary Care Center, Lawndale CA
- Experience in private-practice cardiology under three board-certified cardiologists.
- Trained in physical examination, electrocardiography, echocardiography, assistance during interventional procedures, and cardiovascular critical care.
- Non-cardiovascular emergency medical experience, including respiratory, gastrointestinal, neoplastic, toxicologic and hematologic emergencies.
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, College of Veterinary Medicine:
- Graduated with Honors, 2006
- Class of 1983 Endowment Scholarship, 2006
- Phi Zeta, 2006
- Dean’s List, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2006
- Awarded Graduate Student Fellowship (Toxicology/Pharmacology) from Eli Lilly in 2003, studied mast cell degranulatory characteristics
- CVM award for academic excellence 2002, 2003
- Omega Tau Sigma service award 2003
- Outstanding Physiology Student in 2003
- Graduated with Honors, 2001
- Dean’s List, 1998,1999,2000,2001
- Dean’s council for academic and fraternal affairs
- Dean’s council for academic improvement
- Lettered in swimming 1998-2000
Allen J, Barrett K. Left atrial decompression as a percutaneous rescue therapy for advanced mitral valve disease. ACVIM Forum 2019, research report.
Mak G, Allen J. Simultaneous pheochromocytoma and third-degree atrioventricular block in 2 dogs. J Vet Emer Crit Care 2013; 23: 605-9.
Doyle CG, Allen JW, Ettinger SJ. Foxtail-associated endocarditis in a cat. J Feline Med Surg 2011; 13: 116-9.
Allen JW, Yee K, Buckner MH, Ettinger SJ. NT-proBNP Levels in 30 cats with dynamic right ventricular outflow tract obstruction (abstract). J Vet Intern Med 2010; 24: 695.
Allen, J. Cyanosis. In: Ettinger SJ, Feldman E, eds. Textbook of Veterinary Internal Medicine. Philadelphia: Elsevier Health, 2010. (Chapter 73).